What We Do
Film Victoria is the State Government agency that provides strategic leadership and assistance to the film, television and digital media sectors of Victoria. We invest in projects and people, and promote Victoria as a world-class production destination nationally and internationally.
We work closely with industry and government to position Victoria as a leader in the Australian knowledge and ideas economy through the growth and development of the screen industry.
Initially constituted as the Victorian Film Corporation in 1976 under an Act of Parliament, the Corporation became Film Victoria in 1982 by virtue of the Film Victoria Act (1981).
In 1997 the functions of Film Victoria were amalgamated with those of the State Film Centre of Victoria, to form Cinemedia Corporation, under the Cinemedia Corporation Act 1997. The Film Act 2001 abolished Cinemedia Corporation and established Film Victoria and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) as separate statutory authorities.
Our Function and Services
Film Victoria's function is defined in the Film Act 2001. The functions of Film Victoria are set out in the Act, as follows:
- to provide financial and other assistance to the film, television and multimedia industry in Victoria;
- to promote, whether in Victoria or elsewhere, the use of locations or services in Victoria for the production of any film, television or multimedia project;
- to provide financial assistance, whether in Victoria or elsewhere, to organisations, events or activities including festivals, conferences, publications or exhibitions, where film or other screen-based programs are made, seen or discussed;
- to establish and facilitate, whether in Victoria or elsewhere, relationships for the development of film, television or multimedia programs;
- to provide leadership to the film, television and multimedia industry in Victoria;
- to develop strategic plans for the development and improvement of the film, television and multimedia industry in Victoria;
- to advise the Minister on matters relating to the film, television and multimedia industry in Victoria and
- to develop relationships or enter into partnerships with other organisations, including government bodies, whether in Victoria or elsewhere, to improve the film, television and multimedia industry in Victoria.
A new Victorian Government, led by the Leader of the Coalition, Mr Ted Baillieu MP, was sworn in by the Governor of Victoria on Thursday, 2 December.
Please note that some of the content on this website may relate to the former Premier, ministers or government, or may be inaccurate. This website will be updated progressively to reflect changes to the government and ministry, as information is verified.
to establish Film Victoria to provide strategic leadership and assistance to the film, television and multimedia industry of Victoria to encourage innovation and the creation of new projects of high quality that are of economic or cultural benefit to Victoria.
Film Act 2001