Australia’s hub for game development received another boost today with eight Victorian game developers to share in more than $348,000 through Film Victoria’s two streams of game funding.
The investment is expected to generate new employment opportunities for 31 local game developers and more than $774,500 expenditure into Victoria’s economy while three fully developed games will be supported for market release.
Successful applicants through the Assigned Production Investment program:
- Wayward Strand (Ghost Pattern) – a girl finding her place in the world aboard a sky-ship in an alternate version of Australia in the ‘70s
- Putty Pals (Harmonious Games) – cheerful putty creatures are brought to life through cooperative puzzle-solving
- Ticket to Earth (Robot Circus) – an engaging tactical puzzle and story game with a fresh twist
- Rebound (Well Placed Cactus) – explore the universe to collect cute alien friends
- Little Witch Story (Snow McNally) – a visual novel examining the themes of difference and acceptance in a world touched by magic.
Successful applicants through the Games Release program:
- Help! I’m Haunted (Kevyn Stott) – a spooktacular adventure about busting ghosts in Neo-Transylvania
- Fish Paradise (Rushad Govekar) – players create their own underwater reef and raise unique fish
- Resynth (previously Beats ‘N’ Bleeps) (Polyphonic LP) – a minimalist, musical puzzle game where you create the beats
Quotes attributable to Minister for Creative Industries Martin Foley
“Victoria’s game developers are continually raising the bar, creating games that inspire, entertain and educate. They are part of one of the fastest growing global industries and are increasingly important contributors to Victoria's $23 billion creative and cultural economy.”
“Through Film Victoria programs, initiatives like Melbourne International Games Week, and our Creative State strategy, we are strengthening our local industry, creating jobs and making Victoria an internationally recognised game development hub.”
Quotes attributable to Film Victoria CEO Jenni Tosi
“Once again we’ve been presented with an impressive selection of projects across a wide variety of formats and platforms with a deep understanding of what will captivate their audience.”
“We wish these eight projects great success and congratulate the creative talent on their achievements and contribution to the global games sector.”